When you’re at the top of the ladder and have countless years of experience, you might assume that landing an executive job would be a breeze. However, executive jobs in Mississippi can be harder to get than an entry-level job with hundreds of candidates. On average, it takes about eight weeks to land a job, but for executives, it can take 6-12 months.
Trying to land an executive position means that you’ll face challenges that lower-level employees will not. Let’s explore some of the reasons why it takes so long to find an executive job and tips for speeding up the process.
Why Does it Take So Long to Get a C-Level Job?
Getting hired in an executive level job can take as long as a year. It might seem that having specialized skills and knowledge would help you land a job sooner, but the reverse is true. Here’s why.
- Fewer positions are available. There are far less C-level jobs available, and then you have to find one that you qualify for. This means that you have a small pool of jobs that you can apply to.
- Internal hiring. Even though more companies are hiring CEOs externally, many of these jobs are still filled internally. This means that you won’t have the opportunity to apply for jobs that you qualify for.
- More decision-makers. There are many more decision-makers in the hiring process compared to other jobs. You can expect to have interviews with multiple people in the company, and they all have to agree. You can also expect them to be selective.
How to Speed Up the Hiring Process for Executive Jobs in Mississippi
Fortunately, there are some things you can do to speed up the hiring process. While nothing is guaranteed, aligning yourself with the right resources is the best step you can take to advance your career and increase your opportunities.
Below are some tips for finding an executive job quickly:
- Because many companies hire internally, you’ll want to get your name out there and let people know that you’re looking for a job. You can network with others at networking events, take people out to lunch or be a thought leader on social media.
- Work with a recruiting firm. It costs nothing to work with a recruiting firm. You’ll give them your resume, and they can match you to executive roles in your field.
- Get help with your resume. If you’re not hearing back, your resume could be the problem. Enlist help from a resume writing service to ensure your resume and cover letter are on point.
- Practice for interviews. Every interview should be treated like you’re applying for your dream job. Prepare answers (and even a few questions) for your interviews.
- Aim for a promotion. Don’t slack at your current job. If anything, you can aim for a promotion while taking on more responsibility and growing your skills.
Capitol Staffing is an employment agency that specializes in executive jobs. Let us help you find a senior-level position – you do not have to do this alone! Contact our team to learn more about our employment application process.