When it comes to finding a job, there are several things you can do to increase your chances for success. ‘Job search depression’ is a real thing and it can cause people to feel hopeless, which can eventually lead to depression. Many people start off feeling excited and hopeful, but the struggles of job hunting can quickly leave a person feeling rejected, stressed, and anxious about the future.
If you’ve been spending a lot of time looking at job listings in Jackson MS, your self-esteem and wellbeing may be taking a hit. Fortunately, there are ways to beat job search depression and be successful in your search for a new position. Below are some important dos and don’ts for job searching.
The Dos of Job Searching
By following these dos, you can be well on your way to finding a job you love!
- Do your research. Before applying for any job, take the time to research the company and the position. This will help you tailor your application and prepare for the interview. Hiring managers appreciate when applications are relevant.
- Do network. Networking is key in any job search. Reach out to people you know in your industry, attend job fairs, and make connections on LinkedIn. Many jobs are discovered through networking and not posted on job sites.
- Do work with a recruiter. Partner with a recruiting firm that can help align you with the best jobs. It costs nothing to work with a recruiter, and they can assist with other aspects of your job search, such as resume writing.
- Do customize your application. Tailor your resume and cover letter to each position you apply for. Even though it’s more work on your end, it shows that you are serious about the job and have done your research.
- Do follow up. After submitting your application, follow up with the employer to express your interest in the position and to also make sure that the employer received your application. This way, there is no wondering if something went wrong on the technical side.
- Do prepare for interviews. Research common interview questions, practice your responses and dress professionally. Also, be prepared for a mix of both virtual and in-person interviews, as many employers do both.
The Don’ts of Job Searching
While there are many things you can do to increase your chances of finding a job, there are also several common mistakes that you should avoid. Here are some of the most important:
- Don’t apply for jobs you are not qualified for. Applying for jobs where you lack the necessary skills and experience is a waste of your time and the employer’s time. Employers receive many applications, so focus on quality over quantity.
- Don’t ignore your online presence. Employers often check social media profiles and other online content when considering candidates. Make sure that your online presence is professional and appropriate. Avoid having controversial or political posts on your profiles.
- Don’t badmouth previous employers. Speaking negatively about previous employers during an interview will reflect poorly on you – not the employer. Stay positive and focus on your strengths.
- Don’t give up. Going through job listings in Jackson MS is a long and difficult process, but persistence is key. Keep applying, networking, and refining your approach until you find the right job for you. It’s out there!
- Don’t limit yourself. Remember, you don’t have to do this alone. Network with others and reach out to a recruiting firm that can help you improve your resume and find you jobs that you’re qualified for.
By following these dos and don’ts, you’ll have higher chances of being successful in your job search. To connect with one of our recruiters, contact Capitol Staffing today.